Home > For Patients > Cardiac > 24 Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitor
* This test is not covered by OHIP and therefore a fee of $60.00 is required before the monitor is applied.
Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitor
Your doctor has requested a test called an ambulatory blood Pressure monitor. This test periodically takes and records your blood pressure over a 24-hour period.
There is no preparation for this test.
- A blood pressure cuff will be applied to your arm. The cuff is then attached to a computer, which will automatically inflate, and record a blood pressure reading every 20-30 minutes during the day and every hour during the night.
- It is important that your elbow is straight and arm is kept still when the reading is being taken.
- The cuff may become loose during monitoring. If this happens please tighten the cuff. It may be helpful to have somebody help you with this.
- No bath or showers for the monitoring period.
- Please note that the blood pressure reading will not always be displayed on the screen. The computer may repeat a reading in 3 minutes if it detects a sudden change in pressure, movement or faulty reading.
- You will be asked to return to the office in 24 hours to have the monitor removed.